Nothing beats a good tomato sauce that is made from fresh ripe tomatoes cooked right in your own kitchen. I know it takes a while and some people just don’t have the time. But for someone like me who loves spending all day in the kitchen, I love making this tomato sauce every week.
First, the mince. Kangaroo meat tends to be chewy if you don’t cook it properly. I solved that problem by first marinating it with coconut milk. Then I sautéed it the next day.
Second, the sauce. I make delicious tomato sauce a la Marcella Hazan with 3 main ingredients: tomatoes, butter (or ghee to make it Paleo and Whole30 compliant) and onions. It is hassle-free. Just put them all together in a pan (no need to slice) and cook in very low heat for 45 minutes. The trick to make it rich and oh-so-tasty is to puree everything using a hand-blender.
Third, the zoodles. Zucchini is an alternative to flour-based noodles. I use a peeler to make the zucchini look like fettuccine. If you have the fancy spiral slicer, then spiralize away!
For marinating the meat
- 500g beef or kangaroo mince
- 1 cup coconut milk
- generous amount of salt and pepper
For sautéing the meat
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 garlic shoots, sliced (optional)
- 1 large capcicum or bell pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
For the sauce
- 1-1.5 kilos ripe tomatoes, cut in half
- 3 small white onions, peeled
- 5 tbsp ghee
- handful of garlic shoots (for added flavour)
- fresh zucchini, skin removed and spiralized to make spaghetti-shaped noodles or peeled to make fettuccine-shaped noodles
Fresh herbs to garnish
- Marinate the meat for at least 2 hours. Overnight is the best.
- Combine all the ingredients for the sauce in a large pan. Cook over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Lower the heat and continue cooking, uncovered, for 45 minutes. Stir the tomatoes every now and then so they don’t stick to the pan. Without taking the sauce out of the pan, use a hand-blender to turn it into a creamy and full-flavoured tomato sauce.
- Sauté the meat with the rest of the sautéing ingredients.
- Pour sauce over meat and serve with zucchini noodles and fresh herbs.