Chicken kare-kare (Chicken stew in peanut sauce)
Author: Dolly Rubiano
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 medium onion
- 1 kilo chicken pieces, skin and fat removed
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbsp paprika
- bunch of string beans
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1 eggplant, cut into 4
- chinese cabbage or bok choy
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tbsp rice flour
- bagoong (sauted shrimp paste, a must!)
- fish sauce (optional)
- Saute garlic and onion in a deep saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the chicken pieces and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the broth, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add paprika and mix until blended.
- Add string beans.
- Add coconut cream.
- When it starts to boil, add the eggplant and bok choy.
- Add the peanut butter and rice flour and mix. This will thicken the sauce.
- Turn off heat once vegetables are cooked.
- Serve with bagoong on the side, or season with fish sauce if not using bagoong.
Read the story behind the recipe.