Paksiw na isda (fish cooked in vinegar)
Author: Dolly Rubiano
- ¾ cup vinegar (rice, palm, cane or coconut vinegar)
- 1 knob ginger, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup water
- ½ tbsp whole peppercorns
- fish sauce (start with a tablespoon and add to taste)
- pinch of white sugar (optional)
- 1 medium round fish (around 800g), cut into pieces or 1 whole flat fish
- 1 medium onion, sliced into rings
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 radishes, sliced (you can use eggplant instead)
- red or green chillies (finger chillies if you have them)
- Mix the first 7 ingredients in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Add the next 5 ingredients. Cover the pan and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Best served with sinangag (garlic fried rice), but steamed rice is OK too!
Read the story behind the recipe.